Saturday, March 20, 2010

A little about me...

Hi! I'm Kim, I'm 45 and I'm a Food Addict. Well, more specifically a Carbohydrate Addict. I spent all my adult life battling Morbid obesity.

Since the age of 18, I've weighed as much as 336 lbs and as little as 130 lbs. I've been up and down more times than Oprah and Kirstie Alley combined. I've lost no less than 500 lbs in the past 27 years and gained that much as well.

So...why do you care? You may not, but I feel strong enough about my story to put it out there. For me and that one person who may be floating along out there lost about what to do. Here's what worked for me. It's not an end all cure all but for me it saved my life. Bold statement? Maybe. Hang in there and I think you'll agree...

Here's my story, as submitted to the Atkins website in 2008:

Atkins Success Story


BeforeAfter

Kim Eidson

Kim Eidson - Age 43- Missouri

I lost 133 over 16 monthsdays

My Story



I became a grandmother for the first time in January 2007 at the age of 42. I looked at my beautiful new granddaughter and felt terrible about myself. I weighed 326 lbs and was miserable. I had almost given up on losing weight and being able to keep it off. You see, I have lost over 100 lbs twice before in my life – once using Phentermine (a prescription diet pill) and once using a popular weight loss group that uses a low calorie low fat plan. Both times I was unable to control my urge to binge on carbohydrates and gained back the weight. I had actually read the 1992 version of Atkins when it was released and totally "got it.” I just thought there was no way I could not eat the carbohydrates I was addicted to. In January 2007 I started the Nutrasystem diet and actually gained 11 lbs. I hated the food! I had been researching gastric bypass and the lapband surgeries and saw that most individuals who had surgery were instructed to eat a low carb diet. I decided if I'd have to do it after the surgery that I should give it a try on my own. I'm so thrilled I did!


MY GOALS:

I decided I had to do something about my weight. I started my Atkins Journey in March of 2007.


HOW ATKINS HELPED ME GET THERE:


I went out and bought every Atkins book I could find and read them from cover to cover. I started Induction and the weight started coming off! By the end of April I had lost 30 lbs. Now, after 16 months, I’ve lost 133 lbs and over 60" in my waist, hips and bust.

Today, I continue to follow Ongoing Weight Loss. I have included the first three rungs of the carbohydrate ladder into my way of eating successfully. This last 45 lbs or so is coming off slowly, but I now know that it will happen in time, as I will never eat any other way! I have utilized the Atkins shakes and bars occasionally as a great quick meal on the run. I have not modified the plan, but follow it just as Dr. Atkins instructed.

I feel that even though I have not finished my journey, I have succeeded. I feel like I am in control of myself once more. I am no longer the miserably fat grandmother I feared I would always be. I can get down in the floor and play with a toddler without any difficulty. At 193 lbs I am still overweight, but no longer morbidly obese. I plan to be around a very long time to enjoy many more grandchildren in the future.

Thanks Atkins. I’m living proof.

I'm so happy to say that even though I've still got that last 45 lbs or so to lose, I have maintained an approximate 150 lb weight loss for nearly 2 years now!

So...there's my background blog. I'll be around for awhile and look forward to sharing my successes and failures here.



No comments:

Post a Comment